Pastors, this is our site!

Dear fellow workers,

Especially the Filipino pastors of this generation... Warm welcome!

I'm a new pastor heading a 2-year energetic church in Novaliches. I have finished my MDiv in ISOT-Asia. But inspite of all the studies, I still need (maybe desperately need)  guidance in so many aspects of leading a growing church or maybe even to make a church to start growing.

Sa tingin ko, there are many pastors out there who also in the same situation like me, baka lang nahihiya humingi ng tulong, o kaya walang venue or way to get help. I have happy news for all of us - eto na po ang site para sa ating lahat!

Thursday, October 23, 2008

A Crisis of Product: What Kind?

What do uncommitted and committed Christians have in common? The answer: Both live unhealthy, imbalanced lives. I know I’m over -generalizing a bit, but allow me to explain my heart.

Let’s leave the uncommitted out of the discussion, for it’ clear that those who are uninvolved or apathetic towards ministry are indeed missing out (not to mention, sinning) on something that God clearly intends for them. Let’s shift our attention to the committed. If there’s one word to describe most, not all, of committed Christians in churches, I would use the word STRESSED.

Have you seen them lately? Those who walk around like zombies, with deep, dark eye bags, juggling four or five plates with their hands, and usually impatient and temperamental in leading those under their care or ministry. And yes, brothers, these are our LEADERS! The ones whom we are supposed to emulate, admire, respect, and follow. No wonder Christianity is in the mess it is now.

I recall a story told to me by my boss at Messiah College, Kuya Bob Del Rosario. He recounts a time when he was the head of the CE (Christian Education) department at Greenhills Christian Fellowship (GCF). His biggest concern then was the lack of volunteers to teach kid’s Sunday School. So what he did was he asked around the mammoth church, "how many among you (GCF members) were saved during kid’s Sunday School?" When he finally cornered literally hundreds of now adults, he asked them to volunteer as a sign of gratitude and ‘’giving back’ to the very ministry God used to save them.

To Kuya Bob’s surprise, only a few volunteered. When asked why, many responded, "we love, admire, and respect our Sunday School teachers. We owe them a debt of gratitude we can never repay for bringing us to a saving knowledge of Christ. But honestly, we don’t want to be like them. Because they are always so TOXIC, so hurried, so pressured, so stressed (there’s that word), that we said to ourselves, "we love our teachers, but God help us to never become like them." Ouch!

Let me tell my own story. Actually it’s not mine, but a personal observation of mine. Recently I was at PUP where I met a very committed, fourth year College student. He was part of a burgeoning church, and he has two cell groups which he attends in a week, one as a mentee, and another as a mentor to others. On top of that, he is required to attend their church’s Friday youth service, serve on at least one ministry at church, and of course, be present every Sunday. Committed? Yes. But more accurately, overcommitted. When I saw him, his face looked haggard, his eyes tired, and his body language suggested he was burned out. I had to ask myself-yes, we are producing disciples, but then again, what kind of disciples? Wonder how that boy’s relationship is to his parents (does he still have time for that?); what about his siblings? What about friends and classmates? And most importantly, does this guy still have time for his daily devotions on top of his many responsibilities?

Ptr. Edmund Chan of Singapore insists (and I agree) that the crisis of the church is a crisis not of programs, but a crisis of product. Again, the crucial issue - what kind?

I believe the key to achieving more is by doing less, but doing them deeper and better. I believe the truly healthy Christian is a balanced Christian - having time not just for ministry and church, but also for family, relationships, reflection, rest, recreation, and above all, to walk deeply with Christ.

I have so many things to share in my heart but I think this article (or blog) has gone a little too long. Let me leave you brothers with this thought and ask you to ponder it. It’s a combination of a quote I heard from Edmund Chan, and a sprinkling of my own thoughts

"When we take care of the depth of our lives, God will take care of the breadth of our work and ministry. And even in the end if it turns out we become far less 'successful' in the eyes of our family and peers, at least we can have the satisfaction of thinking deep thoughts, praying deep prayers, and communing deeply with God." -Ptr. Edmund Chan, Senior Pastor of Covenant Free Evangelical Church in Singapore

I hope to hear and interact with you guys on this. God bless.

(P.S. Mentioning of certain churches’ names or ministries is in no way a critique of those churches or ministries, but merely serves as examples to illustrate a point. I hope no one was offended by them.)

1 comment:

  1. Initial thoughts lang... I have told my members before (lalo na yung nakatapos ng Discovering Your Ministry by Rick Warren) to have 1 primary & 1 optional secondary ministry, mukang maganda i-enforce yun. I have 1 big requirement for those in ministry (at least for the worship team) - they must have regular devotions, or they will be 'rested' (not rest in peace he he).

    ReplyDelete