Pastors, this is our site!

Dear fellow workers,

Especially the Filipino pastors of this generation... Warm welcome!

I'm a new pastor heading a 2-year energetic church in Novaliches. I have finished my MDiv in ISOT-Asia. But inspite of all the studies, I still need (maybe desperately need)  guidance in so many aspects of leading a growing church or maybe even to make a church to start growing.

Sa tingin ko, there are many pastors out there who also in the same situation like me, baka lang nahihiya humingi ng tulong, o kaya walang venue or way to get help. I have happy news for all of us - eto na po ang site para sa ating lahat!

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

No Dry Season: Too Good To Be True?

One time during our pastor's accountability/mentoring session, I mentioned casually to the group that by the grace of God, I haven't had a dry period in my Chrisian life (at least nothing that I can remember for at least the last 5 years). Ptr. Sandy was later intrigued by that statement and asked if I can share on what I said and what I mean by what I said. So with much humility, I offer these thoughts.

First, let me clarfy what I mean by ''dry''. I'm using that term in the context not neccesarily of backsliding but of a Christian who enters into a season wherein his personal devotions, prayer life, and sometimes even motivation, passion, and energy for ministry is low.

I cannot recall a turning point or a ''burning bush'' moment as to how I managed to mantain a fervency both for the Lord and ministry. Needless to say, the grace and mercy of God is the number one factor/reason for that, for I affirm John 15: 5 which says, ''Apart from me you can do nothing.''

But this article wouldn't be of much practical help if we stick to jargons or cliches in trying to stimulate one another, especially us pastors who are in the frontlines of ministry. As I reflect on God's goodness and faithfulness in my life, let me share some guidelines I follow on how I have maintained a vibrant walk with God. They comprise a series of comparisons, something like a good v.s. best practices.

1. Truth v.s Real. I teach Theology to students at Messiah College, as such, I have a high regard for truth. I'm convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that CHRISTIANITY IS TRUE, but the issue when it comes to spirituality is this-are Christians REAL? There is a word Jesus Himself uses in describing people who know the truth but don't live out the truth-hypocrites!

I try to live my life wth integrity, and I'll be the first to admit I fall wayfully and shamefully short of my goal. But somehow, in the midst of ugly sins and personal scandals, God has honored my ATTEMPT (not achievement) at integrity.

2. Being Moral v.s Being Spiritual. The issue here is not just of avoiding sin or trying to keep up a good front, but rather an honest pursuit not just of righteousness but of God Himself. We Christians are usually good at avoiding the ''big'' sins-adultery, murder, stealing and pet cultural ''sins'' like drinking, smoking, or playing cards. But how good are we at stuff like helping the poor, fighting against injustice, or even at ''simple'' things like being thankful for all of God's blessings?

There is more to Christianity than just rules keeping. I'm not trying to make light of sin, but God seems to be more honored when like David, we pursue God with all our might-sins, warts, feet of clay and all.

3. Duty v.s. Delight. I try to treat the spiritual disciplines, like bible reading, prayer, and even fasting as a source of delight and not just as a responsiblity. Even when I don't feel anything, I try to be conscious of the fact that God is working in and through me, and that He is using these disciplines to mold me into the image and likeness of Christ.

4. Loving God v.s Being IN LOVE With God. The best way I can expound this is to ask you to try to imagine your parents as compared to your wife or girlfriend (or even crushes, for any very young pastor out there). You love them both , but honestly, how many of us feel ''kilig'' thinking of our parents? You get my point. I try to mantain a child-like wonder, and expectant faith when it comes to my quiet time or even service to God like preaching or leading a bible study or prayer meeting. I always ask God to surprise me, and if in a public context, surprise us. Honestly, oftentimes, nothing out of the ordinary happens, but that hasn't stop me from asking God over and over again, ''Lord, show up. If you want to do somthing new or fresh or supernatural, please do so.'' My biggest reward so far is not a compilation of testimonies on signs and wonders or of the miraculous,but a heart that is soft and tender before God.

5. Existing v.s. Truly Living. One of the modern pastors/authors who really speak to my heart is Erwin McManus. His life theme is ''Live Wide Awake.'' This guy is so adventurous and so courageous that everytime I read his books or listen to his sermons (http://www.mosaic.org/), my spirit inadvertanly get refreshed and renewed. Like him, I try to live a life without regrets. Like our Master, I would love to say when I reach the end, ''Lord, it is finished. Everything you asked me to do, I've done.'' I desperately want to live courageously and be totally unafraid of failure or criticism.

And finally, it's a combination of

6. Faith AND Hope. I used to get discouraged easily, especally when my faith fails-meaning dreams or visions that I thought are from the Lord, only to have me fall flat on my face (which is not always bad). Sometime ago, during one of those ''blue'' moments in my life, I felt the Lord gave me a personal revelaton of the power of hope. When faith fails, there is still hope! I'm now learning to live by both-faith that God will move NOW, but if it doesn't happen, to maintain hope for the future. This potent combination has served to keep my heart from becoming dry and withered. I noticed a lot of pastors dry up because of disappointments and failures. Don't! Live in hope, for the best is yet to come!

Again, to God alone be the glory!

2 comments:

  1. Well said bro. It fed my soul. I like the idea of being in love with God not just loving God. To me that's loving God with all your heart (or emotions). Every Saturday, I give a pep talk to our worship team after practice. I only talk about an attribute of Jesus, like he is gracious, the Shepherd, the resurrection, etc., and tell what it means in real life. Then we pray, adore him, bow down, cry out, embrace one another while praying for each other, sing songs, declare victory. Always, the Spirit graciously blesses us with His loving presence. Always, the experience leaves most of us, if not all, red-eyed due to tears. Bill Hybels said it, the attributes of God move Christians to a higher level of Christ-likeness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Manric. You should really be an author. I think you have what it takes to be one. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete